Culreoch is a lovely holiday cottage set on the edge of mixed farmland and deciduous woodland in the secluded Fleet Valley, three and a half miles inland from the small town of Gatehouse of Fleet.
Being near the end of the minor public road there is little passing traffic, this quiet cottage is situated in stunning scenery with beautiful views over open fields.
The cottage is well equipped inside and has a pretty enclosed sunny garden to the front which is a pleasant haven and an ideal place if you want to enjoy quiet countryside.
Ideal for walking and exploring the area, walkers have ready access direct from the cottage to the extensive oak and famous bluebell Carstramon Wood (Scottish Wildlife Trust) as well as open moorland. There are good walking guides in the cottage and many new signposted walks.
The beaches of Sandgreen and Cardoness are within easy driving distance and the amenities of golf and tennis are available in Gatehouse of Fleet.
Please note that due to the remote location, there is no mobile phone reception at the cottage and no Wi-Fi however there is a landline telephone.
One well behaved dog is welcome.
Large living room with open fire (coal and logs supplied). Electric storage heating included in rent.
Well equipped kitchen extending into a large dining area and patio with outside eating area. Electric cooker, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, microwave and washing machine.
3 bedrooms, one large double with washbasin, two smaller rooms - one with two small single beds and the second with bunk beds. Bedlinen provided but not towels.
Bathroom with bath and shower over.
Private water supply from local spring. We advise that you bring bottled water for drinking.
Landline telephone with honesty box.
TV, radio and video/DVD player.
A selection of books, DVD’s, games and puzzles.
Open from after Easter to early November. Weekly rates vary from £450 to £550. 10% discount for couples. Short breaks can be arranged.
Amenities in Gatehouse of Fleet:
- A good range of restaurants and pubs
- Useful local shopping with supermarkets open 7 days a week,
- Post office, chemist,
- book and gift shops
Things to do around Gatehouse
- Splendid walking in coastal and upland scenery: Fleet Valley National Scenic Area, SNH Cairnsmore of Fleet National Nature Reserve
- Galloway’s Dark Skies with limited light pollution make night walks an experience to be treasured. Gatehouse lies in Galloway South Ayrshire Biosphere which promotes wildlife and sustainable development
- Good beaches for families and birdwatchers
- Sea, loch and river fishing can be booked locally
- Challenging 9-hole golf course and public tennis courts
- Sustrans Route 7 passes half a mile to the West of the cottage. For mountain bikers, you are between two of the 7 stanes sites: Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree.
- Cream o’ Galloway, a local farm where ice cream is made is easy to reach and offers an exciting day out for all the family.
Nearby towns: Several of Galloway’s distinctive towns are within easy reach:
- Kirkcudbright – the Artists’ Town has several galleries, a museum and a harbour
- Castle Douglas – the renowned Food Town
- Wigtown – Scotland’s thriving Book Town with specialist book businesses and bird reserve
- Whithorn– takes you back to medieval times and the dawn of Christianity in Scotland