James Ramsay, a landscape gardener, is credited for adding new elements to the designed landscape of Cally House, including the gothic ‘Temple’, built in 1779.
Located on rising ground immediately to the east of the road linking Girthon and Gatehouse, the square tower with a castellated top was designed to impress passing traffic. The pointed arch openings faced the road below while the false openings to the side were designed to provide a pleasing feature viewed from the distant mansion. The ‘Temple’ was used as lodgings for William Todd for ten years while he was in charge of James Murray’s drove cattle.
The image below is from a postcard looking out across the open parkland of Cally Estate from the Temple in the early 20th century.